What a long day yesterday was! We got there at 5:30am as planned. But as usual, there was a snafu...there was a mix up and both their morning cases were there at the same time! Of course, the surgeon can't do two surgeries at the same time, so we got bumped to 2nd, and had to wait a while.
They had quite a bit of prep to do, so they took dad back and gave him a nice big dose of versed (a sedative) and hooked him up to IVs and a monitor down into his heart, etc. They gave me a phone so that the nurse could call to update me from the OR. They called the first time at about 10:30am and had just made the first incision. I got several more updates during the course of the surgery and always going well.
The nurses and support people there are great. They checked on me all day, and I mainly just read my book (how often do I get a chance to sit and read!) They called just before 5pm to say that he was finished and they were taking him to the ICU. I was able to go back and see him just before 6pm. He was still sedated and intubated, but he looked good and was doing well - even better than they thought.
After I saw him, and knowing he would not be awake for a while AND they have a shift change from 6:30-8pm with no visitation...so, I went home. I was wiped out! On the way home, I started crying; it was such a huge burden gone...and then I knew that I needed to visit mom.
I haven't been able to go to her grave yet; I just can't bring myself to go there. But, I knew she would be proud that dad did his surger and was doing well....and I wanted to tell her. After a quick dinner, David, the boys and I headed over for a quick visit and left just before a huge thunder storm moved in.
I called this morning to check on dad, and they had taken his tube out and he was awake and fine. David and I went for a quick visit at lunchtime. He is doing very well. He is a little sleepy and sore, but not in any pain. He is sitting up and talking and eating ice. Later today, he will begin clear liquids and will be moved out of ICU to a regular room. If all goes well, he may go home on Friday but at the latest it should be Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment