Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lots to Report

What a BUSY day (meant to post this yesterday but actually posting on Wed so excuse the references to days).

Ryan and I were on the road by 6:30 and all went smoothly....he was pretty fiesty and fussy when he woke up from the procedure and did NOT like the IV in his arm. They gave him some pain meds and he did much better. We were home by 11am, and by then he was back to normal....he gobbled down 3 - yes THREE - bowls of my veggie soup that I made yesterday. He is such a trooper. The worst part - aside from leaving him on the operating table and walking out -was when he threw up on the way home (they warned us he might if he has swallowed any blood). Now, we just have to have them removed in about 6 months. :( Note from Wed: last night was rough...Ryan didn't sleep well and wasn't breathing well through his nose (from swelling, a cold, allergies, the tubes...who knows)...so, of course I got no sleep either.

Dad:
is having his daily injections and is also going back on his oral thinner. His heart doctor called today - the actual doctor and not a nurse or staff....had some info on the CT results, but I can't get into it yet because well there are some areas that need to be further researched and we will be consulting with someone soon to interpret, and I promise to let you know as soon as I can....could be something but hopefully nothing. But, he asked about our issues with insurance/billing and was so appalled about insurance making him switch mid-care and to another specialty (get this!! He didn't know the difference between a cardiologist and a cardivascular disease specialist and he is at least one of them!)...the best part or the most redeeming act I have seen in modern-day healthcare...he offered to treat my dad for free until we get his insurance issue resolved...can you believe that?!? I don't know that we can/will (or need to) take him up on it....but what a clear message that someone cares!

Mom:
I spoke to an oncology nurse navigator, Kathleen, (a referral from Carol Thompson, a mom of two friends of mine from elementary school!)....she is with WellStar...she was so helpful. She got my mom into a Cancer Clinic for today (on one day notice) to see a great doctor in the practice where I am trying to get her into. The same practice my dad sees for his hematology (I have been very impressed with them) and Dr Bordoni is a dr in the GA Cancer Specialists and he specializes in lung cancer!!! We are seeing his colleague, Dr Garrot because Dr Bordoni is out of town. A whole panel of oncologists will review her case and make recommendations including any clinical trials she might need to get into. I feel so much better now....now, if I could just get her ENT procedure moved up. She is beginning to choke more and more and needs to have the outpatient injection to move her vocal cord over ASAP...they scheduled it for 5 weeks from now!! I have a message into her (she tried to call me last night while I was on the phone with the cardiologist). Oh, and Kathleen told me that alot of the cancer special centers around the US will do a record review for you without you having to go to see them in person! This might become handy info! We will see how this afternoon goes!

The boys are at school this morning - I hoped to nap a bit, but I have a stack of paperwork to get through and made it to a much needed chiro appointment (and massage).

Alan is coming this afternoon to watch the boys while we go the dr appointments. David left yesterday - he is in Miami until late Friday. Then in Raleigh M-W next week. Ashley really helps fill in the gaps. Please keep the prayers coming!

No comments: