Thursday, April 17, 2008

Third One's The Charm

We finally found a GREAT oncologist....the one we saw at the cancer clinic yesterday was exactly what you would want from the doctor that will be working closely with you to save your life. He is very informative, energetic, HOPEFUL, and mainly engaging. He looked at us/mom and asked questions...I know he got the feeling that we already were VERY aware of the bad stuff and the prognosis, so we spent very little time on that.

One of the most important aspects is that he wants to move quickly. He is seeing mom in his office Monday (interestingly enough they synced it up for us with dad's appointment in the exact same office at the exact same time which is going to be a small bit of a problem for me as I want/need to be with both of them). Then we will discuss chemo options and plans. Then within 10-14 days he wants to re-scan the brain to see if the tumors are responding to the radiation...if not, then we will need to call hospice because there is no need to endure chemo if the brain tumors are not controlled...if they are (as we expect) then we will begin chemo right away. There are a couple of options of combo chemo treatments and both are tolerated pretty well....and that means we have a plan B when/if one begins to not work as well.

We are all feeling very much better about the whole thing.

The other good news out of yesterday is that I had a good conversation with mom's ENT and while she can't get mom in sooner for her vocal cord procedure, she found a colleague in her practice that can do it NEXT Friday! So, we are busy next week with pre-op visits, clearances, labs, etc. AND we have to be at Northside at 5:30am on Friday, but it will be done. It is outpatient, but mom will be under general anesthesia and can be in observation for up to 23 hours. After, she will not only have her voice back, but will also not choke on her food/drink!

Dad...I have to admit that when I got this news over the phone, I felt a bit like I was free falling again. I know I have heard people describe feeling like being punched when given the types of information we have been getting fairly often lately, but now that I have experienced it over and over, it is really more like the feeling of a free fall on a roller coaster - your stomach leaves you, you lose your breath and ability to think/talk, you feel like everything is happening at super speed and in slow motion all at the same time - it is unreal - as if you are involved in a slow-motion accident but are powerless to stop it.

His CT showed a tumor in his chest - *between* the lungs. It showed no 'aggressive characteristics' and seems to not be involved with the lymph nodes....all good news. It is a terratoma tumor which is pretty rare in the chest of an adult male (mostly in newborns), but is almost definitely benign (the harmless kind), but will also most likely need to be removed as it can become malignant (the bad kind). If all goes well, then we will be able to remove it when he has his valve replacement - may as well get the most out of that surgery!! :) We see his hematologist/oncologist on Monday afternoon, so we will know more then.

You see my dilemma now...need to be with mom in her oncology apt on Monday at 2 and need to be with dad at his oncology apt on Monday at 2. Even a queen of multitasking like myself is wondering how to multi-task that one?

On a lighter note, had a playdate at The Coffee Park today with a neighbor, Chantel and Leah. Then I took the boys to lunch at IHOP as they have a Horton Hears A Who menu right now. They had green eggs (minus the ham) and Who Cakes, and oh my was it a hit! Then we came home and had naps all around....it was a nice day and completely free of medical calls and appointments.

Our patio was suppose to begin this week but has been delayed...will hopefully start next...I will be sure to post photos of the before and after.

No comments: