We had mom's appointment with her Radiology Oncologist, Dr Rosenbaum, this morning. She seems great. Today they fitted mom with a special head mask that will hold her sill for the treatments and did a scan so they could plan her treatment to the exact spots. We begin treatments on Monday and will do them 5 days a week (M-F) for 2-3 weeks. Mom is also on a steroid now to deal with any swelling that might happen in the brain...which will hopefully spare her from symptoms such as headaches, confusion and seizures....but might make her 'wired' and is rough on the stomach thus the need for two other medicines, pepcid for stomach and sleeping pills (hopefully she won't need those)...but that is how it goes, you treat one thing and then treat side effects and it spiders out of control...but there is no alternative! Oh, and she will lose her hair with this, so I am working on wig options....and just a note to all of you who have expressed concern and have offered to help....and especially thanks to Amanda, who has been at my house every day this week (she brought us groceries today)..and to Wy, for helping with research.
Tomorrow, we have the nuclear scan to see if the cancer has spread to any bones/joints. Wish for good results! Other than some blood tests and a urine study, I think we are done with testing after that. This one is weird though, we drive over there in the am just to get her injected and go back 3 hours later for the test.
We thought dad would come home today, but obviously they weren't happy with his results....he is still in the hospital....having a colonoscopy tomorrow and they may decide to do a minor procedure to put a 'strainer' device in to prevent the blood clot (he still has it) from moving along dangerously to his heart. We will see what all that turns up. Dad is beyond ready to leave....he says he is going home tomorrow regardless....we will see.
Looking forward to the weekend - we all are...for a little rest and reprieve from dr visits. Just hoping dad is well enough to come home soon. Next week, we have an echo to monitor the heart on Monday...radiology all week...our BIG oncologist apt on Friday...and if dad gets out, I am sure tons of follow-ups for him.
I am canceling Ryan's procedure - moving it to later actually....I decided with the newest development of the brain involvement and the treatments...just too much going on...and it isn't critical right now. I tried to call today, but it was too late, so I will do it first thing in the am.
Our nanny had to resign already....don't think it was anything we did :) She was really nice about it...said it was just too much for her to handle with her other commitments and school right now and she didn't realize it...she helping to find a replacement and is not leaving us until we find someone. Which I think we have, David talked to the new candidate this evening and I think we will interview her this weekend. Her schedule is great for us....she was one of the 5 that initially applied, so she was a good backup. Wish us luck with her. We need all the help we can get.
Mom is still taking it all well....it has to be tough to lose your voice (for those of you who know Rube well...you know she is a TALKER!!), so she can't even spend her time on the phone! Now she can't drive (not that she was running out to wal-mart daily before)...she has lost her high energy level and can't go for her beloved walks or manage her plants...or cook....or eat well. I feel like I am losing her so fast...I pray to hear her special special voice again! She is still in good spirits considering....so strong.
No comments:
Post a Comment