Saturday, August 25, 2007

Hello from CapeTown

Hi all...we are here! Finally had a chance to get on the computer but not for long, so I will have to be quick.

The flight was impossibly long and not the best, but we made it. The boys slept way less than we had hoped (and thus so did we), and that made it seem even longer. They were pretty well-behaved, but were also tired and cranky at times. We missed a couple of meals because of a catering strike in Dakar (our stopping point). We had to rush with all our bags to make our connection in Jo'burg, but made it. We all got to the airport in CapeTown and saw familiar faces of our family waiting on us there and it made everything OK! We got to our house around midnight local time and in bed around 1. The boys made the time adjustment well, and that coupled with naps, we are now all set!

We have been busy! The first day here, Friday...we all went to Spur at the Waterfront for lunch (we are such a big group we needed 2 tables)...then the boys did some shopping with Daddy and Uncle Neil while Lynne, Marilyn and I headed to meet Simone (M's sister) for our hair apts. I got mine cut and styled and absolutely ADORE my new cut (it is the best I have ever had!). Then we headed back home to freshen up for Shul and Shabbat Dinner at Jeffrey & Beverly's (M's brother - their daughter, Lara is getting married this weekend).

Then today, Saturday, David, the boys and I went grocery shopping for a few basics (diapers, AKA Nappies, pancakes, cereal, water...) and some cold medicine for David (I am feeling much better after getting a cold 2 days before leaving but popping Ecinacea like crazy, but seems David came down with something). Then lunch at Jeffrey's again (after the rest of the family went to Shul which we are skipping because of the boys. Then we went to ride the blue train (a legend from David's childhood) and to play on the local playground near the ocean to burn some energy. Then back to Rhonda's Manor, AKA our CapeTown home as Ethan calls it...for the boys and I to nap and David and all off to watch a Rugby match at Granny's flat. The boys are sleeping now, and here I am - the rest will be back at any moment to fetch us for dinner.

The weather today was GORGEOUS - ideal....sunny and warm, but with a cool crisp air, especially at the ocean where we were (don't think sandy beaches...think cliffy/rocky beach like in Cali)...but there was a big stone 'boardwalk' and railing along the ocean...and the waters were strong and high for winter, and I could have stayed there for days....just feeling the warm sun on your face....perfect 'fall' weather back home where jeans and a light, long-sleeved shirt feel perfect. Up until today, it has been a bit cool and rainy...but maybe we will get more like today!

Got to go now...got lots of photos and I will see if I can upload some to share from here!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Is it this weekend yet?