We are on our first full week of school....and the boys are still liking it. They are still working on making friends though, but we have a few prospects. Of course, mom and dad will need to do our part as well. David has joined the Dad's Club, and they have their first meet-up tonight. (I love that Franklin has an organization just for the dads!). I will hopefully start meeting some of the moms soon. We have a parent-only night this Thursday, and we got SO LUCKY to have Andrew in town....he is going to come hang out with the boys while we go to school. That way one of us can go to each classroom to get the scoop.
Found out today that both boys are going to be late birds - meaning they will go to school 9:30am - 3pm (the early birds go 8:30am - 2pm). Not thrilled for a couple of reasons, 1) it is a full 2 hours after our old school start time and 2) it throws our day off to start and end so late and 3) and arguably the most important :) it means I can't do my 9am spin class - and that is the latest morning class. I will have to find a plan B I guess. On Tuesdays, the whole school goes 8:30-2, so I will be ok that day. Well and that is bad thing number 4) I have to remember what day of the week it is so that I drop off an pick up at the right time :) The whole reason behind it is good though - each group of 10-11 gets to spend an hour each day (4 hours a week) in the smaller class environment with 10-1 versus 20-1 the rest of the day. I just don't know what working parents do since they don't have before-school options for the kids.
Oh and, there are NO SCHOOL BUSES here! The districts expect you to get to/from school on your own. Probably saves them a fortune. The lunches are VERY healthy and almost kid-gourmet, but they cost $3.75/child/day, so at that price, they had better be! (the normal price for lunches at Addison was $1.65). The boys don't elect to buy everyday though. They both bought chicken tacos yesterday, but only Ry bought the mac-n-cheese today.
Speaking of food - the boys always have a snack when they come home from school. I always let them pick a fruit or veggie and something else (a carb - goldfish, etc.). Today, Ethan picked grapes and carrots (both came from the farmers market this past weekend) and Ry picked broccoli!! Now, this is not 'normal', but Ry ate a whole little bowl of steamed broccoli as his after school snack today! Moms around the world would kill for that!
I have a few photos to share, but I need to upload them first...I will try to get on that soon.
1 comment:
They seem to be fitting in well. Enjoy having Alan and Andrew:)
Post a Comment