Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Big SIX, Lost Tooth & Settling In

Our 'baby' turned 6 this past Thursday!  How did that happen?  We have been celebrating for about a week now.  Started with his party in ATL on the Sunday before and continued into the week with us going out LEGO shopping (with all his generous birthday money & gift cards) on his actual birthday.  Then this weekend, we had Benihana (his choice) for lunch on Saturday.  I think the celebrating is mostly over now, and wham, he loses his FIRST TOOTH tonight.  Bottom tooth - with the other bottom front soon following I am sure - they have both been loose for a while.

We are getting more and more settled in here - acquiring the things that we need and/or unpacking boxes.  It seems so slow, but it is really just gradual.  Would be nice to just be unpacked and settled in one day, but it just doesn't happen that way because we are still living life too.

Got the boys registered for school last week.  Still not sure if they will be at Franklin (our neighborhood school) or Washington (the overflow school that is about 4 miles away), but either way, we will be fine!  Looking forward to hearing in the next couple of weeks as we start back in a month.  I don't even know what school supplies to buy!

Also got my new CA plates - one on the back and one on the front - had to take off all my nice UGA stuff (UGA plates on back and the pewter UGA alumni thing on the back) :(  but, it is better to have those in place.  David and I both go for our CA Drivers license on Thursday....we have to pass a test to get them!

David got a new car on Saturday.  He went with an Infinity G25 - dark silver (graphite).  It is really nice and has all the cool features including a back-up camera, Ipod hook up, leather heated seats.....makes me want a new one but not really.  Still happy with the minivan - once I get it all cleaned up - it is still FILTHY from the long drive across country.  Got a groupon scheduled for a nice detail in a couple weeks though - then good as new.

It just struck me today that we have not had to turn on our heat or or AC since we have been in CA!  The weather is just that nice.  Lately, it has been nice and warm in the mid-day sun (very little rain), and then just cool enough at night to be able to leave the windows open a little.  Just amazes me!  It is also really cool to drive on 280 (my favorite hwy here so far)....you overlook mountains and canyons and get to see the fog literally bathing the tree covered mountains.  Very cool.

I have to say that I am even happier now that all our familiar things - photos and other things are coming out of boxes. Makes me feel more at home - which I guess we are now.  It is just like wrapping myself in a warm, familiar blanket.  Just so comforting. 

That's it for now - time for bed for me.  I have some photos to upload and share - will get to that soon.  And hopefully will get more posts out now that I can actually get on the computer a bit.

No comments: