Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Back to GA Baby!

We got back late last night - flight was delayed a bit which actually turned out for the best (got to feed the boys lunch at the airport before boarding) and that was the only small hitch in the trip home. The boys were so well behaved and entertained themselves. The plane was completely full - not a single seat open. But, the configuration had 3 seats in the center, so we were isolated a bit to ourselves there in the middle and just 5 rows from 3 bathrooms which was helpful when you have two little ones on a 4 1/2 hour flight home by yourself :)

Very happy to be home and settled in. I do appreciate some things more.
1) I need and crave a more minimalistic lifestyle. We have so much stuff that we have accumulated and then got a nice big house to put it all in, but we really don't NEED so much. It won't happen over night for sure, but I will hopefully live my life from this moment forward with that in mind. We hear the term, 'less is more', but now I really get it and will internalize it. I have a feeling I will be more calm, centered and less stressed if I just had less to manage and worry about/with.

2) It is surely HOT here!!! It was ~103 degrees today. While in SF, the high was low 80's and we needed jeans and jackets everyday! Here, we were stripping off as many layers as we could! There, we had open windows and could be active outside, here, we shut up the house and blare the AC! I love warm weather as much as the next Southern-born girl, but it was a nice break and prelude to our fall which is months in the coming I am afraid.

3) I ADORE the pedestrian city life. It was so nice to be able to consider walking or public transportation for almost any trip outside the home that we took! Here, it isn't even an option - ever. Granted, I know that is more city versus suburb, but still. It was nice for all of us to get out and be active while 'getting there'

4) I ADORED ADORED, absolutely ADORED having our family together every evening AND weekends. It was an odd mixture of vacation and what-it-would-be-like-if-daddy-worked-in-the-same-city-where-we-live. I think I will miss it more now that I have had a big taste of it. Alas, we only have to make it til Friday, and David will be home.

Back to reality - for this post and for us! I know that I have a gap in my time-line AND owe you tons of pictures - both will come soon (tomorrow?), but for now....

The boys and I were back to reality today. After getting to be just before midnight last night, they were up on their own by 7:45am this morning (which was before 5am for them!) I guess their little systems are just more sensitive to the natural signals of light and dark and melatonin, etc. Ryan had a quick evaluation at Addison for his Kindergarten placement and then we went to his ENT check-up. His ear tubes are still in place for now, which is fine. One is working its way out a bit, which is fine as well, but could hang around for a while still.

Then, we met friends for a quick playdate at McD's to get some energy out! Then I had a care call for my grandma - she is doing fine as well! Was reminded how tiny she is...only 88lbs, but she is only 4'11" or so, so they are fine w/her weight. Then some more phone calls and emails to catch up. Then dinner w/Granny and Oupa followed by some school supply shopping - Granny and Oupa bought Ryan's backpack (as is our tradition since they bought Ethan his first backpack as well!)...then a quick stop at the library...home and bed.

We have a standard week the rest of the week. Hope to make a few visits to the pool, maybe a free movie and/or some bowling. Ryan's 5th b-day party is this weekend...it is really small since we can't really include his new classmates yet and his old ones are all going to new schools.

Can't believe that school starts back next Thursday!!! Tuesday morning is meet and greet - where the boys get to stop by and meet their new teachers and find their classrooms (and the parents get to drop off bags full of school supplies :) Then Wednesday, we have trial bus run in the morning (the younger kids get to catch and ride the bus with their parent!)...then the real thing on Thursday. I can't believe that the boys will be in K and 1st!

I have a whole list of things to do once the boys are back in school. That will keep me busy at LEAST until the end of August! We'll see what happens after that!

Off to sleep now....will get those photos uploaded and fill you in more later!

No comments: