Monday, January 11, 2010

False Start

I thought we were getting back to the routine last week...but for better or worse, last week was anything but routine!

This all-time cold front that has descended on the entire country (hello, where is my global warming when I need it?!?) hit us hard last week. We were already out of school on Monday for a teacher work day. Tuesday and Wednesday were fairly routine...Amanda came over for dinner on Tuesday night, and we had Mexican hamburgers (yum!)...we were back to school, karate, etc. I was feeling a bit run down, but I chalked it up to all the activity of getting back from vacation and getting back to normal. Thursday, I woke up with a scratchy throat...had lunch at school with Ethan and then volunteered in the school library (which will be my normal Thursday routine for a while now)...by the time I left Addison at 1:30pm, it was snowing and my throat was killing me. I was so tired, all I felt like doing was crawling into my warm bed....

I picked up Ryan, got Ethan off the bus and headed straight to Roswell for speech therapy, which is also our normal Thursday routine. By now, the snow is coming down and actually sticking to the non-paved surfaces. It was actually really pretty and would drift in the wind. If I felt better than death warmed over, I would have appreciated its safe beauty at that time. I knew I was done as soon as we made it back from speech, so I picked the boys up McD's on the way home. After they ate, while I rested on the couch, we all headed up to my bed to watch a movie. I dozed while they watched Coraline. It was their first time to see it, and I had intended to watch it with them just in case it was too scary or intense for them...it is animated, and PG, and they really love Nightmare Before Christmas...but, we do what we have to do when we are desperate. They watched, I napped, and hopefully no permanent damage was done :)

I was really hoping school would not be cancelled for Friday, but it was....so, we slept in a bit (Ryan's internal clock won't let him sleep too much later than 7 or 7:30am). We made the best of it. We didn't go out to play since I was feeling so bad. Late morning, we were going to run out to pick up food and to get a throat swab for me at one of the Minute Clinics, but we proceeded to slide down the drive way in the minivan and almost take out the mailbox due to all the ice on the driveway. So, I parked the van on the side in front of the house, and we hiked up the grass (because we kept slipping on the driveway), and stayed safely in our house the rest of the day! David managed to get in from the west coast at a decent time, and managed the drive home safely late that night.

We also had a low-key weekend. Got several small projects done around the house (a dimmer in Ethan's room, a programmable thermostat in the basement, etc.)...we will see how this week goes...this week should really be our 'back to normal' week! I hope to take it easier than usual so that I can be well and healthy by my b-day (one week from today!)

1 comment:

Jen said...

so inquiring minds want to know....did you ever get the throat swab and are you feeling better????