Monday, April 07, 2008

The *hard* questions begin

Ethan asked me one of *THE* questions that all kids ask their parents and all parents hate to hear...

No, not: "Where do babies come from"
No, not: "Can I borrow the car keys"
No, not: "Mom what were you like in college"

It was: "Mommy, who do you love more, me or Ryan?"

My first thought was, "wow, isn't 4 a bit young for that question?" I knew it would come eventually. I mean we ALL ask our parents that over and over and as though we honestly expect them to provide an answer. I think even single children want their parents to profess their favor over any other....

Of course, I gave the stock answer, "well, silly, of course I love you both exactly the same and you are both my favorites"...now, one would think that that would have been an acceptable answer for a four-year-old...but oh, the curse of having a precocious child! Thank goodness, David was there and stepped in to help explain, just as his mom always has with he and his siblings, "mommy loved you longer but she loves you both the same". That seemed to be the magic bullet either because he was wrapping his mind around the longest part or because it came from Daddy (who, to a little boy, is the foremost authority on EVERYTHING), or perhaps because he got his satisfaction from being the 'somethingest' and that was all he really wanted all along.

I guess it is time for me to start coming up with answers to some of the tough questions now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And so it begins....and never ends :) And just in case anyone was wondering - Marilyn loves me the most.

Marilyn said...

I would love to see what each of my children say. Each one is a favorite at different times, and for different reasons, but the heart just seems to expand, not split. Oh well.............
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Ang, thank you for using the word 'precocious' correctly. Benjy, please take note. :)