Dad's consult with the cardio-thoraxic surgeon today went well....very well. Turns out the tumor is of no concern....the thalmus gland makes some cystic tumors and usually go away, but dad had one at some point in his past (could have been many years ago) that didn't go away and it has 'collected' some things like air pockets and has some calcifications. Normally, they would look at it again in about 6 months and again in a year just to be sure...but since he is having open heart surgery anyway, he said it would take an extra 10 minutes to remove at that time...otherwise, it should be fine to live with forever.
The other - possibly even better - result was that dad REALLY liked the dr (partially because he gave him the news he wanted), but seemed to trust and understand him. They talked a bit about his heart surgery and assuming they do it BEFORE he gets symptoms then the odds are VERY good (like 99%) of a successful operation. I think he also FINALLY believes that he needs to have the operation even though he isn't having any pain.
Thanks to Lynne for watching the boys for the appointment.
This evening, the boys and I are headed up to my parents for dinner. I managed to get a shower chair for mom from freecycle!! I want to install a new shower head this evening as well. We are going to have to make a ramp for her this weekend. I think she will be spending the next two nights with us since she has an early apt tomorrow am and then surgery on Friday. Please....lots of prayers!
No comments:
Post a Comment