Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Rough Week

I'm going to give you all the short version...but last Thursday, my dad FINALLY went to urgent care (he had lower body swelling that was pretty severe) where they told him to go to the ER. So, he was in the ER for almost 2 days and then admitted. He is in Kenneston now with lots of testing going on. He has lots of diagnoses already:

Congestive Heart Failure related to
Aortic Valve Closure - needs replacement surgery
A blood clot
Cellulitis (an infection of the skin and tissue)
COPD - an irreversible lung condition

He will likely be going home later this week, but will need to be on a blood thinner for the clot, oxygen for his COPD, and antibiotic for the infection...he will also *NEED* to stop smoking (especially since Oxygen is flamable)...he will need to have open heart surgery in the near future but not until his lungs are stable, the infection is gone AND he is off the blood thinner. If he is deemed too high risk for the open heart surgery, then there is a clinical trial at Emory for a more non-invasive procedure, but he would have to get into that program.

He is also receiving some insulin shots as needed...although they assure us that he is not diabetic, but that being on the steriods can cause elevated sugar levels.

He is in good, although delusional (more on that soon) spirits and is eating like crazy...he is finally tasting and enjoying his food again now that he is not smoking! He is even thrilled when they bring him broccoli!!

He is really going to have to shift his thinking...I try to keep in mind the era from which he came (medicine has progressed quite a bit from when he was growing up)...and keep in mind that he is looking for any excuse to *not* change the behavior he has come to know and love as his 'quality of life'...but, he thinks that the doctors are 'loading him up' with medications and appointments and procedures and tests and operations just to make money...he thinks that the doctors are in cahoots with the pharmaseutical companies...and believe it or not, he is still not so sure that cigarettes have or can cause any issues!! He is very resistant to change, especially giving up cigarettes and beer but even to taking medication. Ultimately, no one can make him, but is it ever frustrating and shocking to see his attitude - I honestly think he would choose death to change/meds.

In a way this has been very much a relief from my stand-point. I have known with no uncertainty that there had to be a number of things wrong with him and that one day they would come to a point where he could no longer ignore them....and I feared in a much more emergent and possibly fatal manner....so, to actually know what we are up against feels good to me...I feel like we can fight it now - and I say we because I am so willing to help - and so is the family and friends that DC has...but he has to be the leader in this battle and that remains to be seen. Keep him in thoughts and prayers....

My mom also went to the dr last Thursday - breathing issues and a pain in her back...after X-rays turns out she has abnormalities in her left lung. Likely (and hopefully) pneumonia
but it could be something more. She has some symptoms but not most...and she does have a history as a past smoker and is currently a 2nd hand smoker...she is on a stong antibiotic and I am hopeful...but worried!

On a high note - Kristy delivered baby Robby this morning around 9:30am...he weighed a whopping 8lbs 15oz and 21" long - very big, tall boy! All are doing well and we popped in for a quick visit while we were at the hospital.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ang,

Hope that everything turns out to be a best case scenario. And I can definitely understand & empathize with you on the way your dad is... My stepdad is exactly the same except without the beer, but with HBP, diabetes minimally treated & morbid obesity. I'll be thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Angela, Tell Uncle Donald that after 35 years of smoking I'm on my 32nd day of not smoking. I knew I had conjestive heart failure but I had a pacemaker added about a month ago. It took several tests to figure out that my heart was stopping on the average of four times a minute. Tell him we both can do it. And keep me posted on him and Ruby. Love you all, Pam