I am not sure what triggered it, but yesterday, as we were leaving karate (which the boys are both still loving - 4 1/2 month into it, and Ethan is doing SO AMAZINGLY - his Sensai complimented him Thursday as well)....anyway, Queen of Side-track pulling back into the station...
We were walking out, and Ethan says, "Mommy, I need your help"
Me: Sure, what do you need
Ethan: I am ready for a girlfriend. I need you to help me find one.
Me: But, I thought I was your girlfriend (which if you recall, he realized a while back that he couldn't marry me one day which I am still recovering from that blow!)
Ethan: Well, you are my first girlfriend, and Alyssa is my 2nd, but I need another girlfriend...help me find my 3rd girlfriend.
He said it all with an air of determination (as if he had been thinking about it a while and had finally come to this decision) and a small amount of, for lack of an appropriate term, shy embarassment, he just had a silly little grin on his face. It was all quite cute and endearing actually.
Ryan, oh Ryan....he is so stubborn and determined....and we can really lock heads sometimes! I know that it is super important for him to understand that I am the parent and the one that makes the rules at this point in life to avoid problems later...so I work really hard to stay stong and consistent but also flexible with him. Now, it isn't a huge surprise that at least one offspring of mine and David would end up being very strong-willed..
1 comment:
Let's not kid ourselves on where the strong-willed gene comes from.
Post a Comment