Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Back to Work & Conference

What a week! David was in town for a change, which worked out really well, actually, not sure what we would have done without him this week.

I had an interview last Thursday and started a new job on Wednesday!!! I am back to doing IT consulting which is what my degree is in, but I haven't done it in about 10 years! I am just working part-time while the boys are in school for now, but I do have the option to go full-time later. Of course, I will need to line up something for after-school for the boys first. We are all just easing into it for now.

I am pretty happy to be able to get back to the intellectual challenge AND to get PAID for all the work I currently do for free (as a volunteer). I am more than a bit nervous about balancing it all...work, kids, home, HOA president, room mom x2, etc. especially since David is back to traveling 100%, but we will take it one day at a time. If people manage it all the time, then I am sure we will find a way.

Ethan had his conference on Wednesday, and it was so good. He is still doing VERY well with all his subject areas. He is reading at almost a 2nd grade level, and will definitely be there or beyond by the end of Kindergarten (remember when we went to Kindergarten to learn our letters and tie our shoes!!!). He is doing very well with his math as well (money, time, basic addition, etc.). They also are expected to know basic civic and geographic concepts. His teach is doing a thing called looping, where the teach and all the students that elect to do so move up to the next grade together, so Ethan has chosen to have Ms. Christie again for 1st grade.

Ethan also had to do a sleep study as ordered by his ENT. She wants to see if his sleeping is being affected by his excessively large tonsils/adenoids before we make any decisions as to what to do with them. That is scheduled for mid-Feb.

I am still in the process of trying to get new tires. We made the decision to ditch our PAX run flat tires (they wear prematurely and require replacing in about 25K - 30K miles at about $400/tire!!! So, tons of posts online where people have replaced them with regular rims and tires, so we decide to go that route, but it isn't quite that easy...finding someone to do the work at a reasonable price is a pain! Still working on that.

Nothing is ever easy really - BMW also messed up when they did D's new tag. His custom UGA plates were released as a result of it, and so was the new tag they issue him when they tried to fix it. So, now we have to start over.

Just trying to fit in eating healthy and exercising...and I decided to give up ALL soft drinks including diet coke as of last weekend. My friend, Jen is doing it and inspired me! The first day was tough with a withdrawal headache, but since then it has been ok physically, but I still miss it! I haven't given up caffeine per se as I don't drink much coffee, but I want to be able to have sweet tea (splenda) and the occasional Starbucks...but diet coke is a biggie for me!

I promise to try to still be good about updating the blog, but with all I have going on right now, you will have to be patient with me.

No comments: