Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Last week of 'freedom'

Even though he doesn't realize it and won't 'get it' for years to come, Ethan is living his last few days of total freedom before he embarks on his 12+ years of becoming educated! Frightens me and excites me at the same time and to the same degree :) I have complex mixed feelings about our education system and am strongly relying on the individual experience component to maintain my optimism :)

Bottom line, my oldest will start Kindergarten next Monday. I keep thinking and waiting to feel the sadness or nostalgia or loss, or whatever it is that moms are suppose to feel at this juncture....but it just ain't there :) I am thrilled - for him and for me! I guess it hearkens back to the way I always felt at the beginning of every school year....excited, nervous with a blank slate stretched out before me ready for any and everything that comes my way - big N-E-R-D I know! I just loved the smell and feel of newly sharpened pencils, pristine white paper, the promise of a new year and all that it holds for me (um I mean, him :) I am trying to not project too much, but it won't hurt to indulge a bit...after all, it is a good attitude to start school with.

Regardless, trying to fill this last week with an ideal mixture of last-minute fun and the necessary prep. Plan to get hair cuts for the boys this week and need to pick up the rest of the items on Ethan's supply list (crayons and glue). And Granny and Oupa will take him backpack shopping this week as well.

Ryan also starts pre-K next week (Tuesday). He is thrilled as well. He will be at Sprayberry Academy with Ms. Stacie and Mr. Ted (he is excited to know a Stacie - future aunt Stacie and to have a male teacher!) We are all ready from his stand-point!

Yesterday, Monday, we had a playdate with the Jossets, Sammy and Maura...we met at Johnny Rockets and were told it was a 10 minute wait...an hour and half later, we finally got out of there! Should have taken that as a bad omen. The kids had fun, but were overly hungry and way too much energy to sit still and eat quietly! Then we headed to a local park that has a 'Sprayground'...something new to us in GA, but apparently pretty common in some areas. Here are some photos which will serve much better than my description.
It was fun, for the first five minutes, that's all it took for Ryan to slip down and bang the back of his head on the concrete. He did his usual, and cried so hard that he stopped breathing...by now he was in my arms, and his eyes rolled back in his head, he went limp and started to turn blue. He was wet, so I am soaked by now as I try to find a table or place to lie him down. It is as frightening as it sounds....it was seconds...not even a full minute...but I can ensure you it felt like hours. Finally, as is always the case, just as I am thinking that I am going to have to start CPR and have someone call 911...he starts to breathe and come back. I check his pupils...talk to him. He is always limp and lethargic when he comes back...but he recovers in about 8 minutes and I give him Tylenol. I always contemplate taking him to the ER or urgent care...but from experience know that they will just want me to monitor him and watch for a concussion. He has been fine ever since! I am hoping that is the LAST time that he will shorten my lifespan with this type of occurrence....now, I know that his teen years will bring many more episodes that will bring me to my knees...but holding your baby's limp, blue body in your arms is something I hope you never ever have to experience!
Anyway, back to the light and happy tone that this blog is famous for :) Not sure what else we have planned for this week...but hoping head injuries are not on the list :)

1 comment:

The Cannon Family said...

WOW.!!!! What an adventure! My heart goes out to you! That boy is going to shorten your days here on this planet!!!!

wsc