Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mom Is Home

Mom was 'delivered' home on Tuesday around lunch time. I would like to say that it has been an easy and smooth transition, but it hasn't. I guess nothing about this whole situation is really smooth and easy.

I do know that she is happy to be home. The hospice workers have been great. They had a bed and other equipment delivered on Monday in preparation for her arrival, and they have been out on Tuesday and Wednesday to support us.

Mom needs 24 hour care at this point...she is mostly resting...but she also has a few *hopefully* short-term issues that are keeping us busy 24/7. The boys and I went over and took dinner on Tuesday night - we couldn't make it over until evening cause we had too much work scheduled at our house on Tuesday based on Mom being discharged and home on Monday which didn't happen...regardless, we made it over.

There was lots to do, coordinate and organize (medicines, medical supplies, etc.)....so, we left around 10:30pm...and dad got very little sleep Tu night. Today, the boys had school...I went to mom's...dad had several dr appointments today....Chris came over so that I could leave to get the boys from school and settle them with Ashley, our nanny...then I was back there until about 5pm. I met with her hospice nurse to go over how to flush the PICC line and her meds, etc.

I know we will settle into a pattern and routine, but right now it is all so overwhelming....and mom is having her 'issues' which is causing some pain that comes and goes and that is rough. Still not eating much at all, but better about drinking for now. We are hoping to find someone to help out with her over night for a few weeks until we have a better grasp on it all.....dad can't continue to not sleep since he isn't in the best of health. Chris and I can stay over some nights but are limited by our situations as well.

It's late now, and I am heading back over tomorrow for most of the day - with the boys unfortunately....it isn't ideal because they always 'need' my attention, but I will take some movies and toys...and maybe dad can get some sleep.

I am off to bed now - it is really late and I am DONE.

No comments: