Thursday, June 07, 2007

Cleaning Out My Brain

Just some thoughts that I wanted to put out there - debate at will...

This is a topic of a recent family discussion with D's family...When you hear/use the word "precocious" what connotation comes to mind - do you hear it used in a negative sense or in a positive one? I would take it as a compliment if someone described the boys as precocious - before looking up the official definition, I think that our cultural meaning (at least from my perspective) is clever, advanced for one's age, witty beyond your years, and I think of the word as being used to describe children...and especially in the way that they interact with adults. Like a young girl that might carry on a conversation with an adult and just have a clever answer for everything the adult asks/says....

When I use Word's Thesaurus the words Intelligent, Bright, Gifted come up...

I believe the precicious is the root of the word precocial which is a biological term to describe a species that is advanced from birth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precocial)

The Etymology: Latin - prae- + coquere 'to cook'

Dictionary.com defines precocious as
pre·co·cious [pri-koh-shuhs] –adjective
1. unusually advanced or mature in development, esp. mental development: a precocious child.

What do you think? Do you think that it has any negative connotations - similar to mischievious? Please share thoughts!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's usually positive connotation.

Anonymous said...

You know my vote - if I was described as that as a child, then it has to be negative!!