Ryan had his eye procedure on Tuesday (as a reminder, he had blocked tear ducts which is pretty common, but they never cleared, so his opthamologist recommended clearing them under general anesthesia).
The procedure itself was VERY quick...David and I were there with him (my mom spent the night to be with Ethan as we had to leave at 6:30am). I got to walk him back to the ER and stay with him until he was out. He was very tired from getting up early and not eating/drinking, so once they put the mask over his face, he was out in seconds. Then, I went back out and got David from the pre-op room and a nurse walked us across the hall to a recovery room. We had just sat down, opened a water, and started to read when they wheeled him in....so, the whole thing was maybe 5 minutes!
He woke up fine and sucked down all the juice they gave him, and they let us leave and take him home. The most difficult and longest part of the whole thing was all the waiting before the procedure....long story, but we ended up being in the waiting room for over 2 hours. To make it short, Ryan has a pretty bad cold - was running a fever higher than he has ever had on Monday (101.6). So, I called the person at the opthamologist's office (Tina) that I had scheduled the surgery with...left her a vm...then I called Ryan's pediatrician and spoke to the phone nurse...she said to call back and ask to speak to the opt's nurse which I did an actually just spoke to the dr himself. We decided to go ahead and bring him in unless he got worse overnight. So, Tina never returned my call...well, she just cancelled our procedure...so, when we get there they tell us and say that they can work us in...but it was almost a full hour later than our previous time....with a hungry and tired toddler - not fun!
So, he seems to be fully recovered from the procedure - hates the eye drops....but his cold is pretty bad...he has coughing fits that almost make him throw up. He may also be getting his eye teeth (which are tough ones)....he has been very cranky and crying alot the past few days...I am taking him to his pediatrician today to rule out an ear infection or even strep. Will keep you posted.
Sorry it took me so long to get this info to you....with Ryan being extra high maintenance and that has made Ethan want more attention and act out more...well, it has been a trying week for us....on top of that this is David's [LAST!] long weekend of school, so he is in class Thurs-Sat.
No comments:
Post a Comment