We finally know what is wrong with me - well David would disagree...but for now, I have a big answer to alot of my questions/symptoms.
I went back to Dr Lee yesterday for the results of my blood tests, and I have Infectious Mononucleosis AKA Mono. The doctor said that my results indicated that I am in the recovery phase of an acute infection and that I have likely had it for months (which sounds about right). Mono is a viral infection and there is no treatment as it will resolve on its own in time. He could not tell me exactly when I would be 'cured', but just that I should gradually see improvement.
Mono generally causes or is related to excessive fatigue, throat infections (hello!), swelling of the eyes (I have that and black circles), enlarged spleen (not sure if I had that or now), depression/moodiness, malaise....well you get the picture. It typically affects adolescents, but is not uncommon in adults...and it really wipes adults out.
I likely got mono in from the Y either through the boys or directly from handling toys, etc. as a few month ago some of the highschool girls had been diagnosed with it. The incubation phase is about 1-2 months. It is possible that one or both boys had/have it as well.
This explains so much and mono coupled with my recurrent strep (which were related and both weakened my immune system while it was working to fight off the mono virus AND the bacterial strep constantly....
The good news is, that we now know what it was and that it isn't a long-term cronic condition that will require medication...the bad news is that I wish I had known earlier because I could have tried to take better care of myself and gotten more help and gotten better faster....
In general, all things are getting better...
1) I am getting better and better every day...I am working out almost every day...I am taking supplements...eating well...feeling better....and I won't have to take medication for anything.
2) Spring is almost here...my mood is much better in the spring/summer/fall than winter...I think I am like ALOT of people in suffering in mild SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), and I ALWAYS get a big boost in mood and energy level in spring...and the boys and I can't wait to get out alot before it gets too hot!
3) David is almost finished with classes (just the month of March remains)...then not only will we get to spend more time with him which we really love doing...but he will also be available to help me more and to help more with occupying the boys.
Now, just to get through March....
Thanks to all of you who have shared your thoughts, referrals and concerns. If anyone has any natural or homeopathic or herbal or anything relating to treatment of fatigue/exhaustion or mono, please share! I think that I am going to start seeing a chiropractor again if I can fit it in....either the mono or something related leave me feeling achy (flulike) most of the time...I am hoping it will help.
2 comments:
We are so happy to hear this - must be a huge relief. Keep getting better! Love from us both.
I am sure that you are happy to finally have an answer. Now stop kissing people you don't know and take care of yourself and get better! :)
Post a Comment