Monday, February 12, 2007

The Boys and Their Beautiful Eyes

Our baby boys are blessed with beautiful blue eyes - Ethan's are so curious, intelligent and loving and Ryan's are mischievous and flirty...but they are both having issues.

We had a follow-up appointment for Ryan and a first appointment for Ethan with Dr Bordenca, a pediatric opthamologist today.

Ryan's farsightedness has significantly corrected in the last 6 months, so he doesn't need anything at this time for that, but his tear ducts are still partially blocked, so he will need to have a procedure to clear them. He will have to go to Scottish Right and be put under general anesthesia; a small metal rod will be inserted through his eye down the duct so that it will be opened. There is approximately a 90% success rate with this procedure for his age. It is relatively safe and common.

Ethan, on the other hand, is significantly farsighted and needs glasses! I am still adjusting to the idea. I will start to research options soon. I don't think it is going to work well...so, I hope that it will correct itself soon.

We will see Dr Bordenca again in 6 months.

I have some medical updates as well - in my quest for better health...I have seen an ENT, a psychologist and an Osteopath/DO/MD. I am still scheduled to see my OB/Gyn and to follow-up with all the others after some tests and antibiotics are completed. In addition to getting to the root cause of all my strep, I may have some additional underlying issue(s) - one of which may well be a thyroid problem. Here are some links if you want to know more.

Osteopathy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteopathy

Thyroid Issues http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/couldyou.htm

PMDD http://www.knowmycycle.com/pmdd.aspx

Everything is still up in the air, but I hope to have some answers soon and look forward to some type of treatment or resolution so that I can feel healthy again!

No comments: