We had a fabulous Thanksgiving yesterday. We hosted at our house for the 6th year (and our 2nd in our not-so-new house). This year was a much smaller crowd without any of David's siblings and SOs present; we missed them!
There is something special about Thanksgiving that makes one really remember what they are thankful for...here is my top 10 list:
10) I will start off with the material things....while certaily not the most important, they do make life easier and more enjoyable, and like it or not, I am thankful for them just as we all are thankful for our computers, washing machines, cars, etc. I am thankful for our home, a house that we love, that keeps us warm and makes us feel safe and 'at home'. I am thankful for our cars (yes, especially my minivan) which has many convenient features that a mom needs when she has her hands full with two squirming boys not to mention all the modern safety features that keep them safe.
9) I am thankful to live in Cobb, Georgia, the South, the USA...where we have pretty decent public schools, a great climate, people who are, for the most part considerate, and where we enjoy (mostly) freedom to do or say things that aren't popular and to ability to make a change, a change in political policy, the tax system, or our own educational or economic background with alot of hard work and patience...and where we don't have to constantly worry about being bombed or attacked while going to school or on a bus (but where we no longer have the innocence and luxury of thinking that this might not all change if we aren't vigilant!)
8) I am thankful for the sum total of all the decision I have made in my past and where they have landed me....I am thankful that I chose to be a good person, a good student, to go to UGA, to accept a job with NexGen, to say 'yes' to David when he asked me to date him and later to marry him, to have our children, chose to then stay home with them...I am thankful for where and who I am at this very moment in time - and hope that through whatever means, maybe divine guidance, maybe intelligent decisions, heck, maybe blind luck...that my life continues on such a rewarding path.
7) Thankful for...our health: this is especially significant this year as we have been a bit sicker than usual this summer (including my gallbladder surgery back in July) and because we have witnessed some sickness and loss this year that really makes you appreciate what you have.
6) Thankful for....the many people who have come into my life for a reason, from ex-boyfriends (or their parents) to teachers and bosses, parents of my best friends, or neighbors. Maybe they aren't in my life any longer or very often, but their influence, encouragement, love and support have helped shape my current life, and for that I am truly thankful.
5) Thnakful for...My family-by-marriage (AKA inlaws) who feel more like G-d-given parents, brothers, and sister. You have taught me so much and filled our lives with so much love. I so enjoy sharing our lives with you all, and can't wait until we can all be together more permanently (hint hint...move home already!)
4) Thankful for...My parents and brother who have always loved and supported me even when it was my mission in life to make that the most impossible thing to do...where would I be without them.
3) Thankful for....A wonderful husband that I honestly grow to love more every day and that inspires me to be a better person...a true partner in every sense of the word...who has dreams and ambitions and harbors mine as well...whose hard work, patience, and ability to balance are awe-inspiring. (And for his much-deserved promotion to Client Director this week and the fact that he is almost 3/4 of the way through his EMBA!)
2) Thankful for...Two Fabulous Boys: the two best sons any mom could be honoured to love and the amazing amount of love that I get back from them. They have managed to change me completely without any effort or intent, and they have taught me so much about life and love; I would have never been complete without them and will never be the same again...they are my heart, my soul, and my spirit.
And finally...
1) Thankful for....You. If you are reading this, it is likely because we mean something to you, and YOU definitely mean something to us! Thanks for your love and support, and we hope to see more of you in 2007!
5 comments:
And I am thankful for you! And congratulations to David on his promotion! I know it is well deserved!
Thanks Ang! What a great blog entry. We are thankful to have you in our family. And as for me, I am thankful for so much - hard to list it all, but good to always remember. Happy post-Thanksgiving!
Well said, Amanda and Alan. I am also so thankful for you - for letting us share your thoughts, your husband and your sons, and most of all for the feelings you engender.
That was me - Marilyn
And we are thankful for your blog! Without it, how would we keep up to date with such a busy family? Seriously, we have a wonderful family and we love every single minute of it.
Post a Comment