Friday, August 11, 2006

It's all fun and games....

Until someone gets hurt - twas a wise mom who coined that phrase (and probably a mom of boys)...seems every 5 minutes my boys are doing something that set off a red flag in my mind but the boys are giggling and enjoying it (most recently, with a helium, mylar balloon left over from Ryan's birthday party, Ryan is holding onto one end of the string while Ethan is pulling the balloon connected to the other end and Ryan is squealing with glee at being pulled around the room almost skiing on the hard wood floors)...then the inevitable happens and someone (usually Ryan at this point) gets hurt. Repeat 20 [million] times a day and you get the point.

We went to Ethan's preschool's open house this morning for an open house...Ethan starts next Wednesday. Ryan had as much fun as Ethan, but Ethan had a blast - mainly with all the toys, puzzles, etc. but also meeting the new kids. It was a bit chaotic, but he is going to love it!

I have always felt very lucky with Ethan's temperment. He is pretty laid back and logical and from a very early age, he could understand delayed gratification (in one minute) and would try to communicate his needs in a calm way - I can say we have not had a single tantrum to speak of...well, I am pretty sure that Ryan is going to be a different story...he has such a little temper. I put shoes on him for the first time yesterday because he is really good at walking now and needs to start to do it with shoes on since fall/winter will be here soon and mainly because he always wants down to walk in public places with very dirty floors. Regardless, he got so mad at me and the shoes - his little body tensed up and he balled his fists up in anger and pawed at the shoes and had a little fit...needless to say, they didn't stay on long, but he did walk around in them a bit, and we are working on it more everyday - as well as ways to one day harness his 'temper'.

That's all for now...I think :) I am working on several projects at the moment...a printed photo book of Ryan's first year (I did one for Ethan as well), my scrapbooks (doing that tomorrow with Amanda and Jen and maybe Amy and Kerry), the boys' upstairs playroom (we now have a sofa up there with my denim cover on it, two bookshelves with baskets for the toys, working on painting one smaller wall with magnetic and chalkboard paint and I am also making an art display strip with clips on it - the room will be AWESOME when it is done and I want to have a corner cubby for me to do my projects i.e., scrapbooking while the boys are playing)...I am also still doing touch up paint around the house and especially in E's room so that I can then put the wallies/wall decals on the wall to finish off his sports-themed room....I am also working on shortening our blinds all around the house and reversing the doors on the washer/dryer, and planning our trip to SA for next year, and doing our fall consignment shopping for E's school clothes, and my sewing class to make a roman shade for our deck door, and I just signed up for a calligraphy class, which reminds me, that I am also working on a few projects that will hopefully be anniversary gifts to David in October...oh, and starting to think about Ethan's birthday party (maybe at the zoo this year)....and our playdates (both with the new group and our old friends), and working at the Y, and working out at the Y, and WW....wow, that seems like alot now that it is all down in black and white.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just be grateful that, so far, neither Ethan nor Ryan has walked down the hall drawing a line on the wall in red crayon. Not that I did that or anything :)