Tuesday, August 08, 2006

IKEA's Customer No-Service

We ordered a sofa from IKEA last weekend (the 30th), and were told it would be 2-3 weeks for delivery and that we would be contacted to set up a delivery time.

Then Monday (yesterday) morning around 9am, I get a call from according to our caller id a 'wireless caller'. The man states he is with an IKEA delivery service and there is a delivery man at our door and no one is home. I had just gotten out of the shower and David was working in the basement and neither of us had heard a doorbell, knock, nothing...so, there is an unmarked white van (small passenger van - not a delivery truck) with no windows and no identifying markings, etc. not expecting a delivery, we call the cell number back and ask some questions of the man on the other end - he is unable to provide us with any information that would make us believe that he is legit including not even having a clue as to what they were delivering to our house.

We ask him to allow us to call IKEA to confirm which I attempt to do, but it is only 9am and the store doesn't open until 10am...I even try the 800# on the web site but can't get through to a person. While I am on hold with IKEA the van leaves. At 10am, I call what I belive to be the store (the only number listed as IKEA's Atlanta store). I speak to the lady there, and without even hearing the whole story, she says that we have refused delivery and if we want our merchandise, then we will have to pay for another deliver fee. I ask to speak to a store manager, and she tells me that I will have to go to the store to do that - the store is not exactly around the corner from my house...she says that the people working in the store can not receive outside calls as they are there to assist customers in the store only and that the call center is there to assist customers on the phone (forget the fact that she certainly wasn't making any effort to 'assist' me). We finally get to speak to her supervisor who opened a 'case' which seems to mean that a store manager will return our call within 48 hours. Not sure what they will do about it, but given the fact that we were never notified that they were going to deliver to us (what if we had not been home)....and the fact that a strange man with no identification, no uniform, no company logo on the vehicle, no company name on the caller ID, not even a clue as to what he was supposedly delivering was at my front door trying to gain entry into my house...that is scary. You hear stories about that type of thing all the time - better safe than sorry

And I hope IKEA can understand that...bottom line, if they had notified us of the delivery ahead of time, then we wouldn't have been so leary of the situation. They dropped the ball and have lost my trust, not the ball is back in their court, let's see how they play this one and whether they keep my business or not.

No comments: