Working out is such a chore to me...I know some people love it (or claim to) and some people swear they get in a zone and are able to think more clearly - well at least I can relate to that since that is how I feel about nice, warm showers...nothing clears my mind and helps me solve problems and picks up my mood like a heavenly shower with the warm drops of water gently massaging out all the stress and symbolically washing it all down the drain - almost as good as chocolate..anyway, the point is that I guess I can relate to those cardio-aholics, but wish with all my being that I were one of them too....so, I just have to fake it!
Something that my coach at the Y, Kelly (the Y has a free service called Coach Approach where you get to meet with a coach on a regular basis to track your goals, etc.)...well, Kelly said that you have to find a reason to like working out besides just the results you hope to get because then if you don't see a change in the scales or your clothes or whatever then you are discouraged and will be more likely to quit. So, you have to like it because of the way it makes you feel or something else that is likely just as intangible. So, I have decided, that for now at least, I am liking it for the following reasons:
1) It is pretty much my only time away from the boys - and not that I don't love them with all my heart - but I am on duty in one way or another 24/7 with the exception of the occasions that they are with a grandparent...but this is a daily dose of 'me-time' (I am reluctant to use that term because in a perfect world 'me time' would be spent in a more indulgent way - getting a mani/pedi or a massage or facial or sleeping or a long hot bath, etc...you get the picture!) I LOVE LOVE LOVE dropping those little smiling faces off at the nursery knowing that they will have fun and be taken such good care of within a few feet of where I am me-timing and LOVE LOVE LOVE how happy they are to see me with those beaming smiles and gleaming blue eyes that greet me when I am done and come back to get them. So for now, savoring this version of 'me-time' and hoping that I come around to really loving the part between drop off and pick up!
2) Since I never get to read books any more, and I really miss that and it is virtually impossible to read and still get a good cardio workout, I have resorted to listening to books on tape/cd. I get them from the library - currently in 'hard' fomat but soon hopefully (when I get my birthday mp3 player) then in mp3 format downloaded. Either way, it is a way for me to get in good reading material and to distract myself from my boring workout since that is a big issue for me - 40-60 minutes really drags out when my mind isn't occupied and listening to music really doesn't occupy my mind per se...the Y does have an excellent media system with TVs for each machine, but there is rarely anything good on daytime tv and what is there is continuously interrupted by commercials....now they just need a nice TIVO for the Y and we will be set - can catch up on Desperate Houswives while working out - now THAT would do it for me.
3) Oh yeah, I like it for the health reasons too...I know I am making myself a healthier person, but as someone who (THANK G-D) has not had any serious medical issues, it is really difficult for me to relate to my daily exercise in this way...I know it is there, but like so many things in life it is easy to lose sight of and take for granted.
These will have to be enough to get me through for now and maybe forever...although I do hope that I will get increased energy, clarity, and most of all those elusive 'results' that are measurable on the scale.
Tell me what keeps you motivated...I would love to add to my list! Tell me your favorite cardio and how you beat boredom
Edited to respond to a couple of questions:
I am currently 'reading' Dan Brown's Deception Point - author of The DaVinci Code and highly recommended by my hubby, and I should also note that I only allow myself to listen while I am working out so that I literally have no excuse to not work out and only get to get back to my story as a 'reward' for working out.
3 comments:
Good post. I started listening to books on my mp3 player also, and it does seem to make the time go by faster!
I need to think about this topic a bit more myself. It's been a struggle to make myself work out lately, and I need to find that motivation again!
Good for you Ang. Just making the decision to do it is a big part of the battle. I'm looking forward to regular reports on this subject.
If it makes you feel any better, I HATE working out. People who enjoy it are crazy!! And also, if I lived here I would give you lots of 'me-time' and babysit all day long. Those boys are adorable.
Post a Comment